Yesterday was not a good day for me. I was snappy, tired, lacking energy, motivation and the will to carry on. OK so the last part is a bit dramatic but I am SO over this job and just want it to be over.
I handed in my notice on the 1st of November, making my last day the 30th of November. I have two and a half weeks to go but I have seriously lost the will to do this job. My chair lacks foam cushioning so even just sitting here all day is a pain in the bum! Literally! And my employers are too cheap to invest in a decent chair for me as that was an investment they made quite some time ago and aren’t prepared to invest again any time soon because it’s not in their budget. Their staff are not really in their budget apart from our wages.
Anyway…hating is not helping.
I struggled through the day yesterday, longing to be outside in the glorious sunshine and 21 degrees mother nature was sharing with us. My breakfast smoothie tasted like plastic so I had to throw it out to then eat cornflakes and milk – both “no-no’s” on my paleo list. First fail. Then lunch was no better as the dressing I’m using is starting to taste like poison after having taken sugar out of my diet. This item has sugar in it and it cuts my taste buds! The egg for my lunch salad was not boiled to perfection and parts of it looked like mucus which made me want to gag with every mouthful. Second fail. The rest of the afternoon I felt like snapping at anyone that talked to me; I think I did well not to snap, actually. Small win. When I got home I put on my exercise clothes and prepared to do a Jillian Michaels workout but the computer is old and was struggling as much as I was to work. Third and final fail. So I gave up on that, cooked a piece of bacon and fried an egg, ate it and lay down on the couch, watching Rick Steins Mediterranean Adventures. I heart that man – always something interesting to say. Though, he does look like a man who could snap at any minute…
An hour later I was asleep. I had slept fine the night before so realistically I shouldn’t have been tired. But I’m SO drained, mentally, physically and emotionally from this job. It’s stealing precious positivity from me and I resent the crap out of it! All I felt like doing yesterday was curling up and going to sleep and forgetting about the world. I don’t know about you, but this sounds like a symptom of depression! I’m not being OTT here, I don’t actually feel depressed but I am stressed which is leading to a bit of a Ctrl+Alt+delete situation. I’ve experienced this before and I get through it to the end but once it’s over, I crash. It’s not pretty.
BUT!!! Silver lining!!! I am married to a bloody rock of a man who has endless patience for my bitching and moaning! I woke up from my nap with him on the other couch, quietly munching on a pear and playing on his smart phone. He had even bought me a wee present – the Jamie Oliver 30 min meal cookbook I’ve wanted for over a year now. Such a gem!! He knew I’d had a bad day and that I’ve hated my job for months so his attempt to cheer me up was in lieu of this. It worked 🙂 I love Jamie Oliver and those 30 min meals are delicious!!! I gave Scott a hug and a kiss and shed a few small tears saying “I’ve had too many bad days lately”.
The nap and the present had me feeling more like myself so I cooked dinner even though it was Scott’s turn. After dinner we went for a walk around the lifestyle blocks that surround our street and when I got home I watched the rest of the Sex and the City movie. A shitty day had turned into quite a nice evening.
Sleep, love and cook books – all so good for the soul.
Posted in every day life
Tagged bad days, cookbooks, depression, food, husband, jamie oliver, jillian michaels, love, mental-health, mother nature, rick stein, sadness, sex and the city, silver lining, stress, stressed, work
I get slightly horrified when no-one has viewed my blog on any given day. I thank those of you who follow and actually do read the posts – you are choice! I had one view yesterday and none so far today, last week also saw a couple of zero view days. I know this is because I don’t post on those days mainly or perhaps I just don’t tag well. Or I’m just plain boring and no one reads because no one cares. That’s not the case, I just know it. My self esteem is high enough to know it’s not me. It’s you – whoever you aren’t, not reading my blog and what not…how dare you!? Don’t you know who I think I am? 😉
Anyway…this weekend’s events went as follows:
- a mega sleep in (until 11.15am), a sunny day complete with snow, yes, snow. In spring?! I know!! I don’t think the snow knows it’s spring…
- a few episodes of Sex and the city with a smoothie to accompany
- mammoth exercise session incl 40mins of biking and an hour with the dog we were babysitting
- some scratches and pats with Meow Meow (the cat we were babysitting)
- home for a shower and late lunch: seafood chowder – not at the same time. Nice to have a real chowder after an AWFUL experience at a shitty cafe/restaurant a couple of weeks ago in town that knows it’ll get the foot traffic so it doesn’t give a shit what it dishes up. SO awful, I was very disappointed and told them so without a response…yet. How could any place be proud to be a food establishment when you’re serving up shitty chowder?! HOW?! Shame. On. You. I’ll name them in the hope they are shamed: Tatler. I really could dedicate a whole post to what I think about paying for food vs an excellent experience…another time maybe.
- Mr Jenna got home at just after five and it was a fidgety/hungry wait until our gondola ride to the awesome buffet up the hill in town. So I watched more Sex and the city – series 2. I’ve watched all the seasons about 10 times. I love it!
- Scott ate WAAAAAAAAY too much at the buffet. So much so, that he could barely move to get back in the gondola, or into the car, or out of the car and into the house. I ate an ample amount but could’ve still taken some cheese board home with me…I refrained. Sadly.
- “Be sleepy” teas, a Quick-eze (antacid) for Scott – which he mistook for a “quickie” and was like “Jenna, I don’t think it’s a good time” hehe. No dear, something for your tummy…mind in the gutter. And then sleep.
- Smaller sleep in
- Got up at 10am to watch the “Home and Away” omnibus but, to my disgust, there was only motor sport for the next EIGHT hours!!! Isn’t there a sports channel this kind of carry on can be broadcast on? I missed out on H&A for Christ’s sake! Not good enough TV3. Boooooo…
- Had to watch more SATC while sunning myself on the deck as Scott watched baseball playoffs on tv.
- Talked to Scott’s mum on skype and “met” her partners two girls
- Fish and chips by the lake with Sprite
- Supermarket, fed animals, set up surprise for newly-wed couple we’d been babysitting animals for
- Home to chill out before cooking Scott Thanksgiving dinner since he was missing out on it back home. Had to improvise a little due to the absence of turkey, brussell sprouts and pumpkin pie. Tegel chicken in a bag – you are my hero.
- Apple turnovers for dessert
How was your weekend? Can you detail it for me with bullet points and bold headings, please? I’d like that 🙂
Posted in every day life
Tagged babysitting, baseball, cats, dogs, husband, motor sport, newly-wed, seafood chowder, sex and the city, sleep, thanksgiving, weekend